It happened last week. A good friend of Ecosummer’s called me up to say she thought the story of kayaking with whales at Orca Camp would make a really great segment on radio. She also said she knew just who she wanted us to talk to: Randy Sharman, also known as the Informed Traveler, of CHRQ NewsTalk 770 in Calgary, Alberta.
Gulp, was all I could think. I had no experience speaking on radio. I happen to know people go to college for a couple of years to learn how to speak on radio. Randy wanted to talk to me the next day, no time to rush off to school!
Talking Story — Kayaking with Killer Whales
It was such a great opportunity though — to talk about my most favourite subject, kayaking with whales up in the northern reaches of Vancouver Island, where over 260 Northern Resident Killer Whales come each summer to feast on Chinook salmon during their annual migration to their natal waters. What was I to do? I couldn’t turn down the opportunity, so voice trembling, I said “yes”.
Sharing our Adventures
It couldn’t have gone better. Randy reminded me before we went on air to just relax and speak as though I was just talking to him. So, forgetting about the thousands and thousands of folks who were tuned in live, I closed my eyes, and starting recounting all the wonders of Orca Camp:
- Our location on a pristine stretch of beach, next to the Robson Bight Ecological Reserve, the only protected Killer Whale habitat in the world
- That 2016 marks our 40th anniversary of offering guided sea-kayaking trips along BC’s Johnstone Strait
- The sound Orcas and Humpbacks make when they emerge from the deep in one giant swoosh of a breath, sometimes waking you in the middle of the night as they cruise past our camp
- That none of our guests need any previous kayaking experience to enjoy Orca Camp; we’ll teach you everything you need to know
- That some of the best moments we have at Orca Camp involve unwinding on our beach, drinking in the amazing views and dining on gourmet campfire cuisine
- That children as young as eight and grown-ups well into their eighth decade enjoy the wonders of Orca Camp
- That we provide all the gear you’d need to make camping and kayaking a great experience
Listen or Book Your Reservations On-line
If you didn’t happen to catch the show live when aired in Calgary, you can listen on-line; and if you’re inspired to join us on the Johnstone Strait this summer all you need to do is book on-line, or email our office to secure your reservations.
Return to: Main Blog